Articles Knowing the Root Canal – 5 Steps and Nothing to Fear in London
For many, the words root and canal are enough to make the heart race when used in the same sentence. You may feel incredibly nervous about having root canal treatment, but we can assure you that there’s nothing to be afraid of. We have a team of expert dentists who are proficient in this procedure, so you don’t need to worry about a thing.
5 steps to a healthy, pain-free mouth
If you have an infected or damaged tooth, we may recommend root canal treatment. This procedure has a negative reputation, but it’s actually an incredibly important treatment, which can often be used to save a tooth. Root canal treatment involves 5 key steps:
- The mouth is numbed using local anaesthetic: this will help to prevent any pain and discomfort, and hopefully, enable you to relax.
- Your dentist will drill into the tooth to access the root canals: once the tooth is numb, your dentist will use the drill to access the root canals.
- The root canals will be cleared and cleaned: the aim of root canal treatment is to remove decayed and damaged pulp tissue from the tooth. This stage of the procedure involves clearing away the damaged pulp and cleaning the root canals thoroughly.
- The root canals will be sealed: once the root canals are free from decayed pulp tissue, the next step is to fill and seal them. Your dentist will use a material called gutta percha to do this. This stage helps to prevent the spread of infection to other parts of the tooth.
- The tooth will be crowned: once the root canals have been cleared, filled, and sealed, a crown will be placed over the tooth to strengthen the tooth and make it more robust. Initially, a temporary crown may be placed. This will be replaced with your permanent crown around 2 weeks later.
If you have any questions about root canal treatment, or you’re keen to find out more about what the procedure entails, don’t hesitate to contact us.
6 ways to get your perfect smile
YOUR PRIVACY IS ALWAYS PROTECTED
Get Your Free E-Consultation
Want to find out about how treatments at the world-renowned Harley Street Dental Studio can help you achieve your perfect smile? Take our free e-consultation to find out.START YOUR FREE E-CONSULTATION