Are you struggling with your dentures? At Harley Street Dental Studio, we want all our patients to be pain-free. Here are 5 top tips to help make your dentures more comfortable:
- Keep your mouth clean: even if you have full dentures, you need to keep your mouth as clean as possible to prevent gum disease and keep your mouth free from harmful bacteria. Your dentist will give you some denture cleaning tips, and it’s essential to keep your dentures clean. You can use cleaning solution to gently wash your dentures and this will protect your gums and prevent soreness and swelling.
- See your dentist: even if you don’t have many natural teeth remaining, it’s essential to see your dentist on a regular basis. Your dentist will check your dentures for any problems, such as wear and tear, and they will also have a look at your mouth to check there are no signs of infection.
- Check the fit: ill-fitting dentures can result in the development of sore spots and contribute to pain and irritation. If your dentures don’t feel comfortable, don’t struggle in silence. Call us, and we’ll make an appointment. When you have a denture, it won’t last forever. The shape of your mouth changes continuously, so we’ll need to adjust or replace your denture periodically to ensure a perfect fit.
- Avoid chewy foods: if you’re a denture wearer, you should be able to eat what you like, but you may find some foods harder to manage than others. Chewy and hard foods, for example, can be problematic when you’ve got dentures.
- Use adhesive: do you feel anxious about your dentures slipping or have you started to notice that your denture feels a little looser than normal? Dentures are held in place by the suction of the gums, but it is possible to buy adhesive to give you extra support. If your denture is loose, see your dentist.