Bad breath can knock your confidence as well as holding you back when it comes to dating or trying to land your dream job. If you suffer from halitosis, we can help. Here are five top tips to help you enjoy fresher breath:
- Brush your teeth twice a day: brushing is the best way to get rid of food debris and bacteria from your mouth. Bad breath is caused by harmful bacteria releasing odours when they feed, so the more you can remove, the lower your risk of halitosis. Take care to brush twice-daily every day, and reach right into the corners of the mouth.
- Clean your tongue: many cases of bad breath are linked to a build-up of bacteria on the tongue. After cleaning your teeth, use your brush or a tongue scraper to gently clean your tongue too.
- Book a cleaning treatment: cleaning treatments, such as a scale and polish, are a lot more powerful than brushing, and they can remove stubborn bacteria, plaque and tartar from the mouth. If you are prone to bad breath, seeing a dental hygienist on a regular basis can make all the difference.
- Chew gum: chewing gum cleans your mouth, but it also really helps to freshen your breath. Make sure you choose sugar-free gum.
- Avoid triggers: some people find that their breath smells after eating or drinking certain foods. If this is the case, keep a food diary to help you pinpoint triggers. Common examples include spicy foods, garlic, coffee and tea.