Articles The causes and treatment of worn teeth by London dentists
Worn teeth occur when the shape and function of the teeth changes because of friction to the teeth, which causes loss of tooth enamel or loss of the tooth surface.
Causes of worn teeth
There are many affects that occur on a daily basis that can cause worn teeth. Causes include:
- Teeth grinding or “Bruxism,” which usually occurs when people sleep, wearing the teeth down.
- Tooth decay caused by improper dental care and poor oral hygiene, causing periodontal disease or gingivitis.
- Improper bite, which can result from malocclusion, irregular jaw shape or overcrowded teeth.
- Genetic/hereditary factors resulting in abnormal facial and jaw formation, resulting in friction on the teeth.
- Injury to your jaw and teeth, which can cause teeth not only to break but also to become worn.
- Diet containing certain acidic foods and substances, which can damage the enamel of teeth over time.
- Excessive teeth whitening that is unmonitored by a dental care professional.
Allowing a dentist to evaluate the condition of your teeth and discuss your oral health will enable you to understand what may be the cause of your worn teeth and how best to treat the condition.
Treatment for worn teeth
Depending on what causes worn teeth, treatment options may vary depending on the appropriate treatment for your needs:
- Dental mouthguard to prevent teeth grinding.
- Teeth replacement – Teeth contouring or dental implants, bridges or crowns.
- Veneers, such as porcelain veneers or lumineers, where teeth are etched and re-shaped.
- Composite bonding to build up worn teeth.
- Orthodontic treatments, such as braces – Invisalign, Inman Aligner, or Damon – to improve bite and prevent worn teeth.
- Facial or jaw reconstruction to correct jaw and mouth form and function, so the teeth do not become worn when you bite.
- Diet awareness with the help of a dietician, to prevent an imbalanced diet with excess substances that can cause tooth erosion.
6 ways to get your perfect smile
YOUR PRIVACY IS ALWAYS PROTECTED
Get Your Free E-Consultation
Want to find out about how treatments at the world-renowned Harley Street Dental Studio can help you achieve your perfect smile? Take our free e-consultation to find out.START YOUR FREE E-CONSULTATION