Articles How flossing can help you
We all know that we should do it, in fact, we most likely have the tools to do it and we are aware of how to do it, but when it comes to flossing, many of us don’t do it. A general attitude toward flossing is that we just can’t be bothered. But perhaps, it’s not so much that we can’t be bothered , but that we don’t understand the effects flossing has. After all, we’re just running a flavoured, waxy piece of string between our teeth, right?
Wrong. Flossing is a vital component of maintaining a healthy oral hygiene routine and it prevents some pretty serious and, in some cases, life threatening illnesses! Here are some of the things flossing can prevent:
- It prevents tooth decay. By removing the food wedged between our teeth and keeping the space between each tooth clear and clean, we prevent the possibility of tooth decay and cavities, which means we get to keep our natural teeth for longer.
- It prevents halitosis. Halitosis is just the fancy name for stinky breath. Our breath stinks because it swirls around inside of our mouth, with all of that old, wedged in food. Think about it, if you left fish sitting out on your kitchen worktop for a few days it would begin to smell. Leavings bits of fish and other food between your teeth will do the exact same thing.
- To prevent gum disease. Flossing reaches were toothbrush bristles can’t – beneath the gum line, where plaque and tartar like to hide and fester. Scooping it out with dental floss is a safe and effective way of preventing it from causing us problems in the future.
- To reduce the risk of heart disease. Believe it or not, our hearts are linked to our mouths and not taking care of our mouths can put us at greater risk for heart disease. If plaque is allowed to fester it is possible that it can enter the bloodstream and travelling to the heart, thus causing heart complications.
- To avoid diabetic complications. Diabetics generally have weaker immune systems and are more susceptible to infections and inflammations. A dirty mouth just perpetuates this opportunity and can prove to be dangerous for diabetics.
Looking for cosmetic dentistry? Talk to Harley Street Dental Studio
The Harley Street Dental Studio has a vast range of services to enhance your smile. For more information on any aspect of cosmetic dentistry contact us on 020 7636 5981.
6 ways to get your perfect smile
YOUR PRIVACY IS ALWAYS PROTECTED
Get Your Free E-Consultation
Want to find out about how treatments at the world-renowned Harley Street Dental Studio can help you achieve your perfect smile? Take our free e-consultation to find out.START YOUR FREE E-CONSULTATION