Spring is finally here, and what better time of year to treat your smile to a little TLC and embrace the tradition of spring cleaning. If you’re eager to inject some sparkle, here are 5 spring cleaning tips for your smile:
- Perfect your brushing technique: you may think that you’re doing a great job when you brush your teeth, but are you sure that you’re using the right technique? It’s all very well brushing twice a day every day, but if you’re not doing it right, you may still be at risk of dental problems. Use a brush with a small head, and take care to brush every surface of each individual tooth. Brush for at least 2 minutes, and don’t be too firm, as this can harm the enamel. Use small, gentle, circular motions, and angle the brush at 45 degrees so that you can clean the gum line.
- Swap your toothbrush: if you can’t remember the last time you changed your toothbrush, it’s probably advisable to swap your brush for a new one. Ideally, you should buy a new brush or swap the brush head every 3 months.
- Floss: flossing is often overlooked, but it can be really beneficial for your oral health. When you floss, you’re cleaning areas that you can’t reach with a brush, and this will reduce the risk of both decay and gum disease.
- Book a dental hygiene session: dental hygienists are experts in oral hygiene and they use sophisticated cleaning techniques to blitz plaque and tartar and give your teeth a lovely healthy glow.
- Chew sugar-free gum: chewing sugar-free gum can help to keep your mouth clean, especially after eating. When you chew, saliva is produced, and this helps to cleanse the mouth and reduce acidity. Don’t chew for longer than 3 minutes, and always make sure you choose sugar-free gum.