It’s finally summer and the last thing you want to be worrying about is bad breath. This summer, don’t let halitosis spoil your plans. Here are 5 ways you can combat bad breath:
- Chew sugar-free gum: if you find that you get bad breath after eating or drinking certain foods, it’s a good idea to chew sugar-free gum after meals. Chewing flavoured gum will give you fresh breath, and it will also help to stimulate saliva production, which will cleanse your mouth and wash away any food debris and bacteria.
- Clean your teeth properly: when you clean your teeth, do you spend 2 minutes cleaning and make sure you brush every single tooth? If not, you could do a better job. Set a timer, make an effort to clean each individual tooth and use fluoride toothpaste. Choose a strong flavour, such as mint, if you’re keen to enjoy extra freshness.
- Clean your tongue: many cases of bad breath are caused by bacteria gathering at the back of the tongue. These bacteria release gases, which have an unpleasant smell. When you’ve brushed, take a moment to clean your tongue using your toothbrush or a tongue scraper.
- Watch out for triggers: many people find that they have bad breath after eating or drinking specific foods, such as coffee or spicy food. If you know what the triggers are, you can avoid them.
- Book a trip to the dentist: if you suffer from persistent bad breath, don’t hesitate to book an appointment. Your dentist will have a good look at your mouth and try and work out an underlying cause. You may also be advised to see our amazing hygienists.
If you’re worried about bad breath, give us a call today!