If you’ve got braces, it’s natural to want the best results, and this means taking good care of your braces. If you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment, here are 5 top tips to take on board:
- Avoid hard foods: wearing braces shouldn’t affect your diet too drastically, but we do recommend steering clear of very hard foods, which could damage the delicate wires. Examples include boiled sweets and popcorn kernels.
- Brush regularly: when you have braces, you may find that food get trapped in the brackets and bands, and this can increase the plaque formation and decay and gum disease. Brush frequently to avoid plaque and keep your braces as clean as possible.
- Keep removable braces safe: if you have removable braces, make sure you leave them somewhere safe if you’re taking the brace out to clean your teeth or eat. It’s very easy to lose aligners.
- See your dentist frequently: when you have your braces fitted, your dentist will organise some follow-up sessions with you to check your progress and make sure that treatment is going as planned. If you have any problems between appointments, please do not hesitate to get in touch and make sure you keep up to date with routine checks.
- Protect your braces when you play sport: if you participate in contact or fighting sports, it’s worth asking your dentist about mouth guards. You can buy guards that are compatible with different types of brace to protect your brace and your teeth while you’re playing.
If you need any more tips or you have questions about looking after your braces, our dental team will be happy to help.