Are you eager to start 2023 with good intentions? If so, what could be better than making a resolution to look after your smile? Here are 5 top tips to set you on the right path:
- Invest in an electric toothbrush: if you’re looking to capitalise on the January sale bargains, keep your eyes peeled for an electric toothbrush. Electric brushes are proven to remove plaque more effectively than standard brushes, and they also give your teeth a really good polish. You don’t have to spend hundreds of pounds. Even the basic models do an excellent job.
- Brush twice a day without fail: we all know that life can get hectic, but it’s always possible to find a couple of minutes to clean your teeth. Set aside 2 minutes every morning and evening to brush your teeth. Brushing helps to remove food debris and bacteria to prevent plaque formation and keep your breath fresh.
- Floss: if you don’t already floss, now is the time to start! Flossing cleans the parts of the mouth that you can’t reach with a toothbrush for a more thorough clean.
- Reduce your sugar intake: if you’ve overindulged at Christmas, you may be thinking about embarking upon a healthy eating mission. Try and monitor your intake of sugar and make sure that cakes, biscuits and sweets are treats, rather than staples of your diet. Swap fizzy drinks for sugar-free cordial or water, and steer clear of sugary snacks between meals.
- Book a dental check: if you tend to call the dentist when you’re in pain, rather than seeing them every 6-12 months, make it your goal to see your dentist at least once in 2019. Regular appointments reduce the risk of decay and gum disease, and they can also prove vital in detecting early symptoms of serious health issues such as oral cancer.