Gum disease can be a serious problem, but fortunately, there are some very easy steps you can take to protect your gums and keep gum disease at bay. Here are 5 top tips:
- Brush twice-daily: brushing is the most effective way of removing harmful bacteria and food debris from your mouth, which reduces the risk of plaque formation. Plaque is the most common cause of gum disease and decay. Brush for 2 minutes every morning and evening, and be gentle.
- See your dentist every 6-9 months: if you haven’t been to the dentist in the last 9 months, call us now and book a check-up. If you see a dentist on a regular basis, you have a 60 percent lower chance of developing cavities and gum disease.
- Chew sugar-free gum: chewing sugar-free gum helps to neutralise acids in your mouth and cleanse the mouth after eating. Chew for a maximum of 2 minutes.
- Be mouth-aware: many people wait until they have advanced symptoms to consult their dentist. If you know what you’re looking out for, you can seek help earlier, and there’s a much higher chance of us being able to prevent further damage to your teeth and gums. If you notice that your gums are swollen or red or they are bleeding when you brush, see your dentist.
- Try and quit smoking: if you smoke, this increases your chances of developing gum disease. If you’d like you try and give up, we are here to help and support you. Call us today or more information.