You may think that brushing your teeth is as easy as pie, but it’s essential to do a thorough job. If you skim a brush around your teeth for a few seconds each day this is going to cut it. Here are 5 simple tips to make sure you’re doing a good job:
- Brush gently: you may think that putting in maximum effort gets the best results, but with cleaning your teeth, it pays to be gentle. If you brush too hard, this can damage your enamel and make your teeth weaker.
- Set a timer: if you don’t have a brush with a timer, use your phone or watch to make sure you brush for at least 2 minutes each time. It’s important to ensure you do a thorough job.
- Use fluoride toothpaste: fluoride is a mineral, which has proven benefits for oral health. Fluoride strengthens the enamel, reducing the risk of tooth decay.
- Swap your brush every 3-4 months: worn bristles won’t do an effective job, so make sure you swap your brush or replace the head of your brush if you have an electric toothbrush every 3-4 months. Some brushes have bristles with coloured indicators, which show you when you need to buy a new brush.
- Clean between your teeth: even if you do a really thorough job with your toothbrush, you still won’t be able to clean every single part of your mouth. It’s impossible to fit a toothbrush into the tiny gaps between your teeth and this is why it’s beneficial to use inter-dental brushes or floss to remove bacteria or food debris from these areas.