Articles Five Steps To Fresher Breath In The Heart Of London
Bad breath (halitosis) can make you feel embarrassed and self-conscious, especially in social situations or high pressure scenarios at work, for example meetings, sales pitches and presentations, but there are ways of solving this common problem. Bad breath affects most people from time to time, usually after eating or in the mornings, but if it is persistent, there may be an underlying cause.
What causes bad breath?
Bad breath is most commonly associated with bacteria in the mouth, which release unpleasant smelling gases when they feed. Usually, bacteria build-up is linked to poor oral hygiene. If you neglect your hygiene routine, this enables bacteria to collect in your mouth and this contributes to the formation of plaque.
Bad breath can also be caused by smoking and taking some forms of medication and many people find that they short-term bouts of bad breath after eating or drinking certain foods and drinks, including tea, coffee, spicy food and garlic.
What can be done for bad breath? 5 easy steps!
- Good oral hygiene is the best treatment for bad breath and this starts at home with a routine of brushing twice a day and flossing.
- In chronic cases, we recommend dental hygiene sessions, in addition to effective cleaning at home and we encourage patients to see a dental hygienist, as well as a dentist, on a regular basis. Dental hygienists provide intensive cleaning treatments, which blitz the mouth and remove bacteria, plaque and stubborn tartar, tackle surface stains and reduce the risk of decay and gum disease. Cleaning treatments, such as scale and polish, will also leave the teeth looking brighter and healthier.
- We also recommend chewing sugar-free gum after meals and using mouthwash; this is particularly beneficial if you find that you have bad breath during the day after eating.
- Giving up smoking will have instant benefits for your breath, as well as your oral and general health. Our dentists and dental hygienists will be happy to provide you with information and advice about quitting smoking.
- In cases where bad breath is linked to taking medication, it may be possible to switch to a different medicine.
6 ways to get your perfect smile
YOUR PRIVACY IS ALWAYS PROTECTED
Get Your Free E-Consultation
Want to find out about how treatments at the world-renowned Harley Street Dental Studio can help you achieve your perfect smile? Take our free e-consultation to find out.START YOUR FREE E-CONSULTATION