If you’re coming to the end of orthodontic treatment, your dentist may have mentioned retainers to you. Retainers are orthodontic appliances, which are designed to hold your teeth in place after wearing braces. Retainers play a crucial role in the success of orthodontic treatment. Here are 5 reasons why you need retainers:
- Preventing relapse: when you wear braces, your teeth move. After treatment, it is possible for the teeth to continue moving, which can result in relapse. A retainer is designed to maintain the position of the teeth, prevent slipping and reduce the risk of relapse.
- Preserving your smile: when you’ve been wearing braces for weeks, months or even years, and you’re thrilled with your new smile, it’s natural to want to keep it looking incredible for as long as possible. Retainers help to preserve the beautiful aesthetic of the smile.
- Saving on repeat treatment costs: if your teeth do start to move after your braces have been removed, you may find that you need repeat treatment in the future. Wearing a retainer can help to prevent this scenario, saving you money on future treatment costs.
- Enhancing your confidence: when you look good, you feel good. Nothing makes you feel more confident than a bright, beautiful smile, especially if you’ve struggled with wonky, crooked or misaligned teeth in the past. Wearing a retainer will help to ensure you continue to feel confident every time you show off your smile.
- Prolonging results: when you first see your smile after your braces have been removed, hopefully, you’ll be overjoyed. With retainers, you can prolong this feeling for years.
If you have any questions about retainers, don’t hesitate to get in touch!