Have you got crooked teeth or gaps between your teeth? If so, you might be thinking about getting braces. Braces can be an incredible treatment option for many people, but often, there are alternatives available. Here are 5 reasons why you may not need braces for straighter teeth:
- Crowns: if you’re more concerned with the aesthetic of your smile than your bite, it may be possible to make your smile look more attractive using crowns. Crowns, also known as caps, can help to improve the aesthetic of the teeth to address irregularities and create a more balanced smile.
- Veneers: veneers are a very popular cosmetic treatment option. Veneers are tooth-coloured shells, which are fixed onto the natural teeth. Often, veneers are used to hide staining or to create a mega-watt, Hollywood style smile, but they also provide a solution for patients who have gaps between the teeth or slightly crooked or wonky teeth.
- Cosmetic bonding: cosmetic bonding is an excellent alternative to braces for those who have gaps between the teeth. Your dentist can use dental composite, a tooth-coloured material, to fill in the gaps, giving you a beautiful smile in just an hour.
- Tooth contouring: if there are issues related to the size or shape of the teeth, contouring techniques may serve as an alternative to braces to create a straighter, more attractive looking smile.
- Watch and wait: sometimes, orthodontic issues are spotted at an early age and there’s a chance that the bite will change. If you’re looking to have treatment before the teeth have developed fully, your dentist may recommend watching and waiting to see how the bite develops and ascertain what kind of intervention would be most effective.
If you’re toying with the idea of getting braces, but you’re not sure if they are the best option for you, call us today to book a consultation.