If you have fixed braces, it’s important to look after them to get the best results. Here are 5 ways you can keep your braces in tip-top shape:
- Keep your braces clean: it’s so important to keep your braces clean to protect them and also to reduce your risk of oral health problems. It only takes a minute to clean your braces and once you get used to doing it, you’ll find it very easy.
- See your dentist: seeing your dentist is essential for good oral health, but it can also help to ensure that your braces remain in good condition for the duration of your treatment.
- Avoid hard foods: wearing braces shouldn’t have a huge impact on your diet, but it is a good idea to avoid certain foods. Eating very hard foods can break the delicate wires, so try and steer clear of boiled sweets and foods like popcorn, as hidden kernels can cause problems.
- Wear a mouth guard: if you’re playing sports that carry a risk of injury, it’s best to wear a mouth guard. You can get specially designed mouth guards that are suitable for wearing with braces.
- Protect your teeth: you may be surprised at how many dental injuries are caused by using the teeth to do things that they’re not designed for, such as removing bottle tops. Taking steps to protect your teeth can also preserve your braces.
If you need any advice about taking care of your braces or you have any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch!