Articles Five Foods that are Surprisingly Bad for Your Teeth
Most of us know that eating sweets and chocolate is bad for our teeth, but did you know that some of the snacks that are often thought of as healthier options can also be very damaging for your oral health? Here are five foods you may be surprised to learn are bad for your teeth:
- Dried fruit: Fruit is full of natural sugars, but dried fruit often contains added sugar. If you buy boxes of raisins or bags of dried raspberries or mangoes, you may find that even a small serving exceeds your recommended daily intake of sugar. Be sure to check the labels before you buy. If there is a lot of sugar in the packet, stick to whole fruits.
- Fruit juice: We’re often advised to try and increase our intake of fruit and vegetables and drinking fruit juice is a means of doing this. Some juices are not too bad for your teeth, but some, especially those that you buy from cafes and supermarkets, contain a lot of sugar and artificial sweeteners. Juices are also acidic, which damages the enamel. Always read the labels first.
- Cereal bars: Cereal bars are often advertised as a healthy alternative to bowls of sugary cereals or bags of crisps, but sometimes, they are laden with sugar. If you’re grabbing breakfast on the go, look out for options that have low sugar content.
- Yoghurts: Yoghurts can be really good for your teeth because they are packed with calcium, but avoid those that are sweetened. These products tend to contain a lot of sugar. Natural yoghurt is a good choice. If you have a sweet tooth, you can always add a handful of berries or a spoonful of honey, both of which contain natural sugars.
- Smoothies: Smoothies are very trendy, and they can be good for you because they contain a lot of vitamins and minerals. If you do want a smoothie, make one at home, rather than buying a ready-made drink. Shop-bought products often contain a lot of sugar to enhance the taste. At home, you have control of what goes into your smoothie.
6 ways to get your perfect smile
YOUR PRIVACY IS ALWAYS PROTECTED
Get Your Free E-Consultation
Want to find out about how treatments at the world-renowned Harley Street Dental Studio can help you achieve your perfect smile? Take our free e-consultation to find out.START YOUR FREE E-CONSULTATION