Articles Five Foods Not To Eat With Your Braces
Wearing braces can make eating a little trickier than usual. Although you won’t have to make wholesale changes to your diet, it is wise to try and avoid certain foods. Here are five foods you may want to steer clear of when you have braces.
- Popcorn: popcorn has become incredibly popular recently, and it’s no longer considered just a treat for the cinema. It is often marketed as a healthy alternative to snacks like crisps, but actually, it can be very damaging for your teeth. Even if you don’t have braces, popcorn is a starchy food, which tends to get stuck in your teeth. When starches are broken down, they become sugars. Popcorn kernels can also be very hard, and you may end up with a cracked tooth. If you wear a brace, popcorn is even more hazardous. It can get stuck in your brace, and it can also damage the wires.
- Chewy sweets: if you have a sweet tooth, try and resist the temptation to indulge on chewy sweets. They’re packed with sugar, and they’re incredibly sticky. They can cling to your teeth, as well as your braces, making them difficult to clean. If you can’t remove traces of food from your mouth, there’s a real risk of tooth decay and gum disease, as the particles combine with saliva and bacteria to form plaque.
- Well-done meat: tough meat can be hard to break down at the best of times, let alone when you’re wearing braces. If you are ordering cuts of meats, like a steak, it’s best to go for the most tender option, and to ask for it pink.
- Corn on the cob: corn on the cob is one of those foods that will always make a mess, even when you’re not wearing braces. It can be tough to negotiate biting the corn off with a brace, so if you do want to serve this with your dinner, cut it off the cob first. This will make life much easier, and prevent bits of corn from getting trapped in your braces.
- Ice: if you have a habit of crushing ice when you have a cold drink, try and avoid doing this once your braces have been fitted. Ice is hard, and it can damage your braces. The intense cold can also heighten sensitivity and make your gums sore.
If you need any advice about changing your diet when you have braces, our dental team will be more than happy to help.
6 ways to get your perfect smile
YOUR PRIVACY IS ALWAYS PROTECTED
Get Your Free E-Consultation
Want to find out about how treatments at the world-renowned Harley Street Dental Studio can help you achieve your perfect smile? Take our free e-consultation to find out.START YOUR FREE E-CONSULTATION