Articles Five Easy Swaps to Help You Cut Your Sugar Intake
Research suggests that many people exceed the recommended daily sugar intake. Excessive sugar consumption is linked to obesity and type 2 diabetes, but it’s also a major contributor to dental decay. If you’re keen to cut down on sugar, here are 5 easy swaps to try:
- Sugar for sweetener: if you’re used to adding a few teaspoons of sugar to your morning coffee or mug of tea, now is the time to stop! You can cut your calorie and sugar intake by switching to sweetener. Even better, if you can brave the thought of unsweetened hot drinks, go cold turkey and just add milk.
- Fizzy drinks for water or sugar-free cordial: fizzy drinks are one of the worst offenders when it comes to sugar consumption. The average can of cola contains up to 9 teaspoons of sugar. Instead of drinking pop, stick to water or drink sugar-free cordial.
- Sugary cereals for whole grain cereals: if you start your day with sugar-coated puffs, flakes or balls, switching to a plain, whole grain cereal will lower your sugar intake significantly. When you’re buying cereal, read the labels and look at the traffic light signals. You may be surprised at just how much sugar is packed into a small serving of some cereals.
- Sugar for fruit: if you have a sweet tooth and you need something to liven up a bowl or porridge or Greek yoghurt, swap a spoonful of sugar for a handful of blueberries, strawberries or raspberries or a sliced banana. Fruit contains sugars, but they are natural sugars and the quantities are much lower.
- Cakes and biscuits for sugar-free jelly: if you fancy something sweet after dinner, don’t reach for the biscuit tin. Instead, stock up on healthier alternatives like sugar-free jelly, natural yoghurt and fruit.
If you need more help or advice on healthy eating, our dental team will happy to assist you.
6 ways to get your perfect smile
YOUR PRIVACY IS ALWAYS PROTECTED
Get Your Free E-Consultation
Want to find out about how treatments at the world-renowned Harley Street Dental Studio can help you achieve your perfect smile? Take our free e-consultation to find out.START YOUR FREE E-CONSULTATION