October is here and Stoptober is in full swing. Stoptober is a national campaign, which encourages people to stop smoking. Research suggests that if you can stop smoking for 28 days, you are up to five times more likely to be able to give up for good. At Harley Street Dental Studio, we’re passionate about supporting causes that benefit our patients. If you’re keen to quit, here are 5 ways Stoptober could benefit your teeth:
- Bad breath: one of the most common causes of bad breath is smoking. If you give up smoking, you have a much lower risk of persistent bad breath.
- Staining: cigarettes contain a host of toxic chemicals, including tar and other agents that stain the teeth, causing them to become discoloured. If you smoke, you’ll probably find that your teeth look yellow or brown. Giving up could help to reduce the risk of further discolouration and make your smile look brighter.
- Gum disease: smoking can increase your risk of developing gum disease, as smoking reduces blood flow to the gums. Symptoms of gum disease to look out for include swelling, soreness and bleeding when you brush.
- Slow healing: when you smoke, it affects our body’s ability to heal. Smokers tend to take longer to heal after procedures and treatments. If you manage to give up smoking, it should your body’s natural healing abilities.
- Oral cancer: smoking is the primary risk factor for oral cancer, also known as mouth cancer. Research suggests that quitting smoking can reduce your risk of developing mouth cancer by more than a third.
If you want to give up smoking, we are here to help! Get in touch today!