If you have braces, you want to get the best results and keep your teeth and gums as healthy as possible in the process. This is why it’s so important to take good care of your braces and your oral health in general. Here are 5 top tips to help:
- Carry a brush around with you: when you have braces, it’s easy to get food trapped in them, so it’s wise to carry a toothbrush around with you. This enables you to clean your teeth after you’ve eaten, which eliminates the risk of walking around with food in your brace and boosts your oral health.
- Avoid hard foods: braces are strong and sturdy, but they’re not immune to damage. If you’ve got braces, avoid eating hard foods, such as boiled sweets, as they can damage the wires.
- Keep your braces clean: it’s really important to clean your braces, as well as your teeth. Braces can harbour bacteria and food debris and if you don’t clean them regularly, this can put you at risk of decay and gum disease.
- Use a straw: when you have braces, the risk of staining is higher, so use a straw when you’re drinking. Try and avoid drinks like cola, which are laden with sugar and contain staining agents known as tannins.
- See your dentist: it’s really important to see your dentist on a regular basis when you have braces. When you have a check-up, your dentist will look at your teeth and gums, check your tooth movement and inspect the condition of the braces to make sure everything is A-OK.
If you’ve got braces and you need advice or helpful tips, we’re always at the end of the phone!