It’s New Year, and many of us are in the swing of healthy living, and trying our best to stick to those resolutions. If you’re keen to boost your health in 2017, don’t focus all your energy on working out and eating clean. Save some time for dental hygiene, and ensure your smile sparkles all year-round. Here are 5 top tips to get you heading in the right direction.
- Brush twice-daily: surveys and studies suggest that many people fail to brush their teeth twice a day. Brushing is the best way of removing bacteria and food debris from your mouth, and preventing the formation of plaque. Make sure you brush before you go to bed, and at least once more time during the day. Most people prefer to brush in the morning.
- Brush for 2 minutes: are you guilty of waving a brush around your mouth and hoping for the best? If so, it’s time to improve your brushing technique, and start dedicating 4 minutes a day to cleaning your pearly whites. Set a timer on your phone or watch. Be gentle, but make sure you do a thorough job.
- Don’t brush straight after eating: many of us assume that brushing after eating is the best course of action, but actually, it can harm your teeth. When you eat, your enamel softens temporarily, and if you brush before it has had chance to recover, you can cause wear and tear.
- Buy a new toothbrush: how long have you had your toothbrush? If it’s longer than 3 months, it’s time to buy a new brush or swap heads if you have an electric brush. If your brush is old, the bristles will be worn, and it won’t do the job properly.
- Use fluoride toothpaste: we recommend using fluoride toothpaste because fluoride helps to strengthen the protect the enamel, reducing your risk of developing cavities.
If you need any more tips or advice about dental hygiene, we are here to help. We also strongly advise all our patients to attend regular routine check-ups to keep dental diseases at bay.