It’s summer, and that means that hydration is key. In these hot climes, I’s more important than ever to drink a lot. If you’re conscious about your teeth, and you don’t want to end up with toothache this summer, there are some options that are a lot healthier than others. Here are 5 tooth-friendly drinks to keep you cool:
- Water: there is no better choice for your teeth than water. Water is pH neutral, it contains no sugars or additives, and it does a brilliant job of cleansing your mouth and keeping your body hydrated.
- Milk: milk may not be the most summery of drinks, but it’s really good for your teeth, a nice cold glass of milk could be just what you need if you don’t want a hot drink before you go to bed. Milk is a good source of calcium, which is essential for healthy teeth and bones.
- Sugar-free cordial: if you can’t bear drinking water all the time, sugar-free cordial is a great alternative. This way, you can make your drinks a little jazzier without exceeding your recommended daily sugar intake.
- Green tea: it may seem illogical that people tell you have a cup of tea when you’re hot, but drinking tea does actually cool you down. If you’re keen to boost your oral health at the same time, opt for green tea, which boasts powerful antioxidant properties.
- Sugar-free mixers: if you’re out for the night or you’re at a barbeque or garden party, avoid cocktails, fruit ciders and full-fat mixers and choose a spirit with sugar-free mixer instead. Diet drinks are still not brilliant for your teeth, as they are acidic, but they don’t contain sugar and are therefore a better option. Take care with cocktails, as they tend to be full of juices, which are usually laden with sugar.